CHAPTER 2 SECTION 1 NOTES
A CHANGING WORLD
Dark Ages – The time period from about 500 A.D. – 1000 A.D.
Middle Ages – The time period from about 1000 – 1500
In the late 1000’s The Middle East was conquered by Seljuk Turks (Muslims) who persecuted Christians.
All Christians in Western Europe were Catholic.
The Pope makes a call for Christians to take back the Holy Land from the Muslims.
Crusades – Series of wars (4) aimed at conquering the Holy Land. They lasted for 200 years.
Results of the Crusades –
1. Shipbuilding increased and advanced
2. Trade increased with the Middle East
3. A taste for new foods (spices, oranges, rice Etc.)
Renaissance (Rebirth) – Period of intellectual and artistic creativity (1350-1600)
1. Invention of Printing Press – Johann Gutenberg (Germany)
3. Explorations (ideas, world)
Spain & Portugal drive out the Muslims
Europe wants to increase power through trade with China & Asia
Arab & Italy control trade across the Mediterranean Sea so another route is needed
Exploration Begins!! Destiny — Asia